Exhibits, collections and archives at the Palace of the Governors reflect the Spanish colonial (1540-1821), Mexican (1821-1846), U.S. Territorial (1846-1912) and statehood (1912-present) periods of History. The collection consists of more than 15,000 catalogued objects, many of which were donated to the Museum of New Mexico in the 1970's by the Historical Society of New Mexico.
Segesser Hide Paintings
These are the first known depictions of Spanish colonial life in the United States and illustrate the ambush in present-day Nebraska of a 1720 expedition led by the Lt. Governor of New Mexico. Detail, Segesser II, presidial soldiers surrounded by the enemy, bison hide, c. 1720-1750.
Made from assorted pieces of hardware, such as spoons, quills and tacks, this seal was made by the Shapleigh Hardware Company of Missouri to commemorate New Mexico's entrance into the Union, 1912.
This 56-piece service was made by Tiffany and Company in 1918 and presented to crew of the U.S.S. New Mexico by the people of New Mexico.
"Pancho" Villa Clock
This clock hung in the railway station in Columbus, New Mexico. In the early moments of the Villa raid, the clock took a bullet through its face, which cut the pendulum and stopped at 4:11am, C.1916.
19th Century Desk
Made by the Wooten Desk Manufacturing Company in Indianapolis, this office-in-a-desk belonged to Charles Ilfeld, a prominent Jewish merchant who lived in Las Vegas, New Mexico in the late 19th century.
This 16th century Morion helmet with religious depiction was found in a New Mexico location known to have been traveled by Spanish soldiers under Governor Juan de Oñate.